Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by gotideas?,
ok, all you need is any tube that will fit snugley down a 1/2in. barrel (empty container of capstick works well), iodine crystals (you can get them here http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumber=407150&memberId=-2000&link=1&prgm=SEO&lnk=TRLEAD), ammonia, the rubber stopper from the end of the little springy things to keep your door from slaming into the wall, and some kinda
straight stick (like the kind on a bottle rocket)

first follow these intructions on how to make a touch explosive

This is sort of a mild explosive, but it can be quite dangerous in large quantities. To make touch explosive (such as that found in a snap-n-pop, but more powerful), use this recipe:

Mix iodine crystals into ammonia until the iodine crystals will not dissolve into the ammonia anymore. Pour off the excess ammonia and dry out the crystals on a baking sheet the same way as you dried the thermite (in other words, just let it sit overnight!).

Be careful now because these crystals are now your touch explosive.

-ok once you've completed that fill your empty chapstick or whatever container you've used with the touch explosive.

-put as much touch explosive as you can but not too much into the container and rubber door-stopper thingy, put the door-stopper in the container you used,

-now with a small amount of tape rap it around the two, just enough so that the rubber stopper will stay on the chapstick

-finally so that your sheel will shoot straight, some how connect the stick to the chapstick (I metled the rubber on the chapstick then stuck the stick into it)

Now it is ready, load the shell into your 1/2in. barrel; stick first, pump up your gun and fire at a hard surface

It should make a pretty load pop so make sure you don't have any grumpy neighbors

(Be carefull when handling these, because dropping them could set them off)
this design can be altered to fit different sized barrels

PS e-mail me at Dautr5@hotmail.com if you come up with any better ideas for this kind of idea

-paul

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GalFisk,
Quote from forum index page: "Posts relating to explosives, using launchers on human/animal targets (other than paintball-airsoft applications), and other activities that are considered to be illegal or downright dangerous will not be tolerated."

Post subject: and...
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by someguynamedchris,
you do not want touch explosives in a spud gun because of the force of the compresed air hitting the device. The only safe way to shoot an explosive projectile is with a combustion gun and a firework shell.

Chris

Post subject: Doing So Is Illegal.
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by scarecrow,
Firing any sort of explosive projectile from a spud gun changes its legal classification to 'Destructive Device' Making it illegal to possess and exposing the owner to arrest and prosecution.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by gotideas?,
it's not a large explosive, mainly just a pop. and cris this would shoot out of the potato gun withought exploding, because the cap on the front has to be pushed in by a farely strong force.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Orangekid13,
What you're making is called ammonium tri-iodite (i think i'm spelling that wrong)

With ammonium tri-iodite, if you let it dry out, and then touch it with anything, such as a feather, it will go off. It will blow up right in your face.

My dad's chemistry teacher got in big trouble for letting high school students make that stuff. Someone smeared it on their german book, walked into class, and slammed it down on his desk. The back cover, and the last three pages were completely blown off. This stuff was put all over the school. People were closing locker doors with a dab on the eraser end of a pencil tapped on the locker door.

Ammonium tri-iodite is very dangerous, and if you touch it when it is dry, you will be hurt.

I would make some of this stuff because of how cool it is, but i value my fingers and life too much to risk it. Considering how much of a pyro I am, that's saying something.

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS STUFF IF YOU MUST MAKE IT

~Orangekid13

Post subject: hey man be careful...
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
not to seem like i'm chewing you out, but explosive stuff really isn't tolerated too well, I would be extremly careful mentioning it, this just isnt the place to talk about it. You could probably post stuff like that at xinventions.com, just not here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Aaron,
Just dont! Any and all simple Nitrogen substances are the types of explosives that go off because of "Haha, a piece of dust fell on me!" reasons. Nitrogen TriIodide, TriBromide and TriChloride are what you call "Curiosity explosives" because they have no use.

Not only that it's near impossible to make without a certain substance that your never going to find an Over The Counter source for. So just flush those silly ideas of "Touch Explosives" and go back to the spudguns.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

~Orangekid13

Post subject: besides,
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

if you make this stuff, it doesn't work without

100% pure ammonia

or it will not work.

~Orangekid13

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers