Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: supah valve
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Spudgunbuilder,
what does joel use to seal the back end of a supah valve where the ball valve is. And any good sites u have on piston exhaust valves send them to me please.

Post subject: Look here..
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
http://www.valuelinx.net/~dthames/valve.htm

Post subject: Thats good but...
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

im looking for something to make like joel makes his supah valve. like with the pvc T shape thing. That type is for just a straight gun. But will that work in the way im trying to do it.

Post subject: if this helps...
Site Admin

Originaly posted by PCGUY112887,
http://spudcannons.no-ip.com/supah_valve.htm

don't think it will help ya thought.. maby...

Post subject: Yeah that kinda does...
Site Admin

that is exactly what i want to build but i need to know all of the parts. I guess that is basically what im looking for.

Post subject: you mean this?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by PCGUY112887,
do you mean this (the gray thing)

If that is what your talking about, I think it is a thick peice of sheet PVC. You can get it from www.mcmaster.com It is rivited in (that is the shiny thingys holding it in there) It might not be sheet PVC, but I think it is. I thought you need a "lath" or whatever to make this thing. Anyone mind explaining what a "lath" is?

Post subject: Its a lathe..
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
I haven't seen a full sized lathe, but on a small CNC lathe, the stock is locked in, then spins around a lot and a cutting blade touches it to cut.

Post subject: the back of the supah...
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by someguynamedchris,
is made of 3.5" solid PVC rod.

Chris

Post subject: A bit of advice
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by TimB,
unless you have a lot of experience with a lathe and machining PVC Rod, i would highly suggest you purchasing a Supah Valve rather than trying to build one. i have heard from numerous people that had attempted to create one, and have ended up spending almost the same amount of money building on as if they were to buy one, and the ones that they have built, haven not worked nearly as well as planned, and often times dont work at all. and by the way, although the diagram that PCGUY gave is close to accurate, it isnt exactly how the supah works. its close, but still not quite it. and just something to think about, the PVC Rod alone is going to cost about $20.00 a foot, and granted you only need about 3 inches, but it is only sold by the foot. plus you will need a number of springs to figure out how much pressure needs to be applied without applying too much, and various other things. so my suggestion, im not just trying to get Joel more business either, is just buy a supah, you will be much happier in the long run i think.
TimB

Post subject: Yeah you are right...
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by someguynamedchris,
the drawing that i made is not to scale and was based of a piston design by Manobrass. I was talking to some one in the chat that owns a supah and takes it apart to oil it every now and then said "that's the basically it but there are 3 really small holes in the front of the piston".
Now there is a piston that in the supah that you can see in the drawing and the picture on this page proves that theory (http://spudtech.com/content.asp?id=25). On that it looks like the piston is made of 2 layers of PVC. And you also said 3" of solid PVC but i do not think that 3" would be long enough for how i though it worked. Maybe Joel just lathes/ drills a 2.5"( or what ever the OD of 2"pvc is) in the center. Putting a piece of 2" PVC instead of the solid PVC piston slide like in the drawing. Thus meaning that the piston either is a 2" coupling with the center ring cut out or 2.5" PVC (if it fits over 2" PVC) but with the 2" PVC he puts two O-rings for air tight ness. I might modify my drawing so you can get a better idea but if this is not correct please tell me.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers