Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
I don't really want to buy a quick exhaust valve, since I already had the pneumatic sprinkler valve, and was therefore free... but I don't have any bits anywhere near the 1" NPT thread. What should I do? My largest normal bit is the bit used for 1/4" NPT stuff, which would really choke the airflow... should it still work ok, or should I wait a few more weeks and get a 1/4" quick exhaust? If it matters, I have a 4" chamber and 2" SCH 80 barrel w/ SDR-21 on the inner sleeve(or will anyway).

Post subject: Exhaust
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by mta,
There isn't much air behind the diaphragm in your gun to begin with, so it's not all that critical. A 3/8" or larger quick exhaust is the way to go, but if you want to use that 1" sprinkler valve you have, just install a 1/4" (3/8" would be better) nipple and use the proper bushing to connect it to the 1" valve.

It won't be ideal, but should work pretty well. Later, if you want to go with a quick exhaust, you won't even need to buy a new endcap.

I would suggest a simple ball valve to dump the air, but for safety's sake you should keep your hands away from the endcap when the thing is pressurized. If anything fails, it will be that endcap.

In any case, the valve should be right at the endcap. If it is connected to it by several feet of hose, the thing will not work well at all.

Post subject: Define several.. hehe
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
I have 3 ft on it right now, should I shorten the hose?

Post subject: The hose is fine
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by mta,
You can activate the sprinkler valve through a hose no problem. Just be sure the air behind the diaphragm on the gun doesn't have to vent through a hose. The exhaust valve should be as close to the endcap as possible.

Post subject: For 1" NPT threading...
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Aaron,
Just force thread it like I always do. Obviously you'll need a brass or steel fitting, just take a 1" close nipple and use your handy dandy calipers to measure the starting size for the threads, now just drill the hole out, ream it out with a file if needed. Then once the nipple starts in the hole get a good grip on it and force it in, it's easier with small fittings but I've done it fine with 3/4".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers