Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by pacogoatboy,

A picture of my
electromagnetic valve idea

I'm thinking of what would be essentially a valveless pneumatic. This is still a very rough idea, but I think it could actually work without a whole lot of trouble. If you wrapped a bunch of wire around the barrel where you wanted the potato to be launched from and ran a current through them, you would get an electromagnet. If you could make a stop that fit the tube perfectly and was ferrous or actually magnetic, I think you could get the whole mess to stay in one place, even under pressure. It would need to resist about 150 pounds of force, which could probably be done with batteries, or with an AC/DC converter. If the stop was thin and weighed very little, you could pack a potato on top of it and fire.

If you got rid of the potato (sad, but necessary in this case), you might be able to use an electromagnet as the projectile. This would probably get expensive quickly as you lost your projectiles, but man would it be cool. You could make the fields of the exterior, fixed electromagnet match the direction of the magnetic field of the projectile electromagnet, so they would repel each other. When you are ready to fire, you would turn off the current, which would instantly (or awfully close to instant anyways) eliminate the magnetic field of both magnets, leaving only air pressure to do its glorious work. I’ve got a quick cross-sectional diagram below. The external magnet and the PVC backstop are both rings, and the internal contacts would be like brass battery contacts, or something similar. The magnets would have to push apart with at least 175 lbs of force to resist 100 psi in a 1.5” barrel. This isn’t as big of a deal as it seems, electromagnets are very strong and can be battery powered. Precisely machined ones can hold 500lbs with 3AA batteries. This wouldn’t be nearly that good, of course, but you can get a lot of juice from a 3lb 12V battery used in emergency exit signs. If you made a big exterior magnet, a smaller interior magnet would suffice, and you could get the spud back in there and probably recover your interior magenet as well.

Post subject: interesting...
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by PCGUY112887,
I really dunno what to say, but it may be a hassel. It would be very cool if it worked. I was wondering, could I put your diagram on my site under the soon to be constructed "theories" section? Your site, and or e-mail would be givin at the bottem if you wished.

Post subject: :-)
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by pacogoatboy,
sure, go for it. if you want to give me credit, please make it to pacogoatboy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers