Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: HARPOON GUN PICS
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Axt,
If these pics work...

Exhaust valve gun, 2.5" brass chamber with 1" Cu barrel firing a 5/8" aluminium harpoon. Did my best to actually make it look like a harpoon gun. The sights actually work and will pop a pidgeon at 20 paces.

Unknown how far this will actually shoot, end up staking someone if I shoot in the air here, but it keeps a nearly flat trajectory over 20m since the harpoon itself weighs little more then a potato.

Havnt tried to launch line yet as the brass catch that catches on the harpoon as it leaves the barrel is way too heavy, itll lose half its velocity as soon as it leaves the barrel. Might have to have something machined as i cant make anything light and strong enough.

Post subject: wow thats awesome!
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
That is one of the coolest spudgun I have ever seen! Wow its a work of art! Is that thing on the bottom to reel the line in?

Post subject: yep
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Axt,
Work of art .. thats what i was claiming it was to security as they came round my room, seems they dislike people firing up angle grinders in the university accomodation rooms. Suprised i got away with that, said i was studying "contemporary art" :).

Yeh, my fishing rod has lost its reel for a while ... cant see any actual use for this gun however. Maybe those pesky dolphins that swim along in front of boats, thats where there could be a market for these Joel.

Post subject: hmm
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by the Mr T of PVC,
makes me think of the possibilities easton arrows and small brass tubing posses

Post subject: small bores
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Axt,
I thought of those possibilities too .. I think a 1" chamber through a standard solinoid valve onto a 5/8" barrel may work in a "bullpup" style configuration. Though 1/2" is a better fit for the arrow a 5/8" barrel should let you get more power onto it.

Ive actually made a small handgun using Al arrows in 1/2" Cu pipe as in -

Though its fairly weak, as you would imagine. Works good to around 10m though .. shooting it into a sheet of corkboard inside can be fun.

The "bullpup" talked about above is actually in the works, bought the chamber the other day - 1" steel steam pipe screw fitting one end threaded the other which i'll put onto a brass solinoid valve and see how it goes.

Post subject: Ace harware
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:00 am 
Site Admin

Well I used to work at Ace Hardware a few years back. They had this small aluminum and brass hobby tubing in lengths from 12" to 36" with diameters from 1/8" to 1/2" What if you took the knock off of the back of a reagular aluminum easton arrow.? ( they sell them at walmart for 2 or 3 bucks) by removing the knock the arrow becomes a hollow shaft. Now place a piece of the hobby tubing inside the arrow, make sure the tubing is big enough to give it a good seal, and its length goes almost to the tip inside the arrow. Now solder, weld, jb weld the inside tube to a threaded hose barb and attach that to you air sources brass fitiings. slide the arrow over the tube/ barrel and your all set. They used to make these comercially you might remember seeing one in a van damme movie

Post subject: rocket
Site Admin

you could also try sliding a model rocket (with the nose cone glued in) ocer a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" pvc that would work too and would probably be safer than arrows

Post subject: rocket
Site Admin

you could also try sliding a model rocket (with the nose cone glued in) ocer a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" pvc that would work too and would probably be safer than arrows

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by someguynamedchris,
?

Post subject: whatever works
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

when i made one i used co2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers