Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Construction Materials

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Polyeten tubing ?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by brandtlars,
Hi, I am trying to get the right kind of tubing here in Sweden. It seems that we do not have "normal" tubing of other than a greay stuff used for waste water. It is made of polyeten as it seems. What do you think of that material? It can not be glued, it comes with collars with o-rings to look. I will ned some screws to hold it together for the combustion not to pop out back and front.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GalFisk,
I have a HDPE barrel connected to a PET chamber. As you say this material is virtually impossible to glue, but if you can make a mechanical/friction joint it should work. I Don't know how good it will work for a chamber, it's not fireproof and it gets soft at lower temperatures then PVC. It's less brittle though, so if it cannot take the pressure you'd more likely get problems with deformation than shattering. It's also less sturdy, so a long barrel would probably become visibly bent by its own weight. I sometimes have problems with the barrel benging when I load spuds (breech-loader), but it's not damaged by bending, it only throws off the aim and reduces efficiency. Larger pipes might be sturdier (mine is 3cm outer/2.8 inner)
PP (polypropylene) is a similiar material, but it can withstand higher temperatures (120°C) without weakening. PP is also a little easier (although still difficult) to glue.
I live in Sweden too btw (Ljusdal), where do you live?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by brandtlars,
I am in Umeå in North of Sweden.

I cut off to chamber (at diam 10cm) to 40cm from earlier 60cm, since first test blow out the back end...Had only one screw, but anyway....The barrel portion is 100 CM (at diam 5cm). It says: KWH PIPE from FINLAND, Is this the same as HDPE ?

I do like the part that it is not as brittle. I do not have any problems with bent barells compare to shattered chamber in the eye or body....

Also made myself a film canister popper, works great indoor! It is great to test different gases, and also to understand how important it is to have noo much of gas...I think normal lighter gas is the better than hair spray for this one. I think that is butane, right ?

Lars

Post subject: KWH pipe info
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GalFisk,
You should check out KWH pipe (www.kwhpipe.com) if you look under Products&Services->Pressure pipe systems, there is a very informative PDF brochure on PE pipes.
Wehopropen PP-HT is polypropylene drain pipe, this pipe is NOT pressure rated. I'd think it's safer than unrated PVC though. PE and PP have similiar characteristics, the main difference is that PP is more heat-resistant.
For pressure rated pipes you could use Wehopeh pressure-rated PP pipe from KWH, which is also heat- and chemical-resistant. (KWH pipes products PDF: http://www.kwhpipe.com/pdf/pipework_solution.pdf)
And yes, normal lighter gas is butane, which I've been using from day one in my spudgun. It's cheap, clean and efficient, only problems would be connecting it to a metering system. I've aldo heard it can be hard to ignite with piezo igniters, I can't confirm this though since the only piezo igniter I've tried was total crap and gave a very weak spark in comparision to the normal hammer-based (click-) models.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Construction Materials