Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Construction Materials

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
sheet metal? I have quite a bit to go(cut the general shape with an electric saw), and I've filed down some, but I didn't cut the original shape the right size, and therefore will take QUITE a long time to complete using a regular file... plus, my gun is nearly complete(once I get it filed down I can assemble my diaphragm and test it out), and I'm beginning to get a little impatient(I've been filing off and on for a week or so in my spare time). Any help would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by FoxxLord,
If you don't have one, take the piece to an auto repair shop or any fabrication shop, they would probably hook you up for free if it's not too big of a project.

-Foxx

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Hopefully it won't tear right through it though eh.

Post subject: Bad idea..
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

I tried the grinder w/ a piece of scrap and it tore right through it... I guess I'll just spend some blood, sweat and possibly tears(hehe) filing that POS tomorrow.

Post subject: 16 gauge?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by FoxxLord,
That's a little less than 1/16" right? Won't tin snips work? Dremel tool? (just throwing out ideas now) Hack saw? Disk sander? Haha Plasma cutter?
Ok I'll stop. I hate filing and sanding too!

-Foxx

Post subject: 16 gauge=1/16"
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

but anyway, don't have tin snips, tried using a drum sander bit and it yanked the granite right off... I don't know if a dremel is different from that or not. The part I have left is probably too small for a 32T hacksaw blade. Plasma cutter would take too much stuff off(read:money haha). I dunno.. I suppose I could just finish with a file, its just so boring and monotonous(how do you spell that?).

Post subject: Simple
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by mta,
I assume you're making a disk, about 4" in diameter with a hole in the exact center. Here's how I did mine:

Use a saw, metal snips and grinding wheel to get it close to the desired shape. Use the grinding wheel very carefully.

Make the center hole 1/4" and get a long bolt, fender washers, and nuts to attach the disk fimly to the bolt. Saw off the top of the bolt so it's just a threaded rod. Attach the disk firmly to the bolt and put the bolt in an electric drill. Wear thick gloves. Spin the thing against a stationary or moving grinding wheel. You can file away quite a but of metal very quickly, and the result will be perfectly circular. The bigger the fender washers the better.

After a few false starts, I find I can make one of these disks in less than half an hour.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Construction Materials