Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Construction Materials

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: YAY!... and boo.
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
I have a PVC supplier(specializes in sprinkler pipe) that can get SDR-21. Yay for me.

Boo... is... bad.

I was shooting water out of my gun today, and my buddy recently retired a gun. We had a makeshift adaptor(basically just a male adaptor, bushing and female adaptor) that connects a sprinkler valve to 2" male threaded barrels(I've got a lot of em). So, I was shooting water out of a 3' 2" barrel, and it was filled about 5/6 of the way. Fired it, and the adaptor blew up(literally!). My sprinkler valve is totally thrashed, and has the threaded part of a 1" male adaptor in it(NO WAY TO GET OUT!! AGH). That was my good valve too... my other sprinkler valve leaks. Went to home depot to look for a watermaster and the guy said they didn't have em. Pfft... my troubles continue.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudlover,
I have an irrigation supply store several miles away from me. Not only can I get 2.5", 6" or any other pipe sizes, they have any fitting you could ever want and they are all Spears! Plus sch80 stuff, didn't ask on 120 but he can probably special order. By the way, will the guy you know sell the SDR-21 to you by the foot? When the connection blew up, what happened, did plastic pieces hit you? I read in McMaster that having threaded connections lowers your overall psi by %50!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

I got lucky. Plus I had the barrel clamped on the chamber, which helped so it didn't shoot off in the distance(or on my nose again!!! OUCH). I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with that thing now.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think they will. I need 10 ft anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by pacogoatboy,
something similar happened to me about two weeks ago that started my spudgun craze anew. i was showing a friend my gun and she leaned it up against a wall while i wasn't looking, ...balanced on the brass schrader valve... needless to say, it fell over. the 1" fittings broke off into both ports on my sprinkler valve. i managed to get one of them out with a pair of vise grips, but the other one was too far in. what i did was cut slots in the broken piece with my jigsaw (by sticking the blade into the inlet port of the sprinkler and carefully cutting a bit into the plastic with a metal cutting blade), cut a little piece of sheet metal to fit into the slots, tapped it in there tightly and used my vise grips to unscrew it. i don't know how your pieces are jammed, but this might work for you. if all else fails, you could try cutting into the piece until you think you are very close to the threads on all 4 sides, then use a flat screwdriver to pry the bits apart and knock them out of the valve's threadings. even if it screws up the threads a little bit, you've still got your valve. just solvent weld a pipe nipple into the port with damaged threads and you are good to go. of course, if you really cut into the threads of the valve, then you are hosed, so you have to be careful. good luck.

(of course, after repairing my gun, i managed to break my valve modifying it to actuate pneumatically, but that's another story.)

Post subject: easy to get it out...
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
use an easy out, you can get them at hardware stores, they work like a dream~!

Post subject: threaded connections...
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
they wont lower pressure ratings when using fittings, that is if the threads are cut into the pipe itself.

Post subject: I don't think so..
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:00 am 
Site Admin

if the stuff I saw on google were what you are talking about they won't work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Construction Materials