Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Combustion Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Toolies,
On the CBS Evening news tonight, Dan Rather outlined an upcoming story of "Dangerous homemade weapons that kids are making from pieces found lying around the house". This will be an Evening News story this week. He didn't say what night this would air - but - So watch for it. He needs a new target since gun manufacturers are soon to receive protection from lawsuits.

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudmasterofMtWashington,
Does anyone have any info on when it will air? I need to know, my parents are going to tape it for me cuz I will be gone all week on a school trip. please e-mail any information to me at ktcherry4@msn.com this is my dad's e-mail address. please lable the subject as CBS SPUDGUN SHOWING TIME or something of that nature so he doesn;t think it's spam and delete it...

thanks alot guys. I dont want to miss it, if its good I definately dont, if it is bad I want to see ti even worse, that way I can get pissed off at it and throw a big fit and rally up an angry mob... ok forget the mob, thats the last thing we'd need...

but anyway please e-mail any information yall have on it to me. thanks alot.
-devin

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudmasterofMtWashington,
AND FOUND NOTHING, except some little blip about spudguns from April 29th. This may have been it but I wouldn't think so...

Here is a copy of the article though that was in the "(CBS) The Odd Truth is a collection of strange but factual news stories from around the world compiled by CBSNews.com's Brian Bernbaum. A new collection of stories is published each weekday. On weekends, you can read a week's worth of The Odd Truth." section of their website that I found after doing a site wide search for spud guns...

Potato Guns Face City Ban

ORTING, Wash. - A few years ago, officials of this small town successfully outlawed Silly String and stink bombs. Now there's a new threat to public order — the spud gun.

The City Council is considering banning the toys that shoot small chunks of potato after pistol-packin' revelers left a mess at the city's Daffodil Parade earlier this month. The streets were littered with spent spuds and two residents were tatered.

“It seems like a drastic measure, but it seems like a safety thing we have to consider,” said Mayor Dale Jones, who has received several complaints about the guns.

There are two types of potato guns. Those used during the parade were small, plastic toys that force potato pieces out of the gun with air pressure. The other type is a device with a tube such as a plastic water pipe, a combustion chamber and an igniter. Potatoes and other objects can be launched several hundred feet from the tube when a propellant such as hairspray is ignited in the chamber.

The latter version was responsible for blinding a Texas teen earlier this month. He was looking down the barrel of a potato gun that was loaded with a frog when it went off, shooting the animal into his face.

The National Rifle Association doesn't consider spud guns to be firearms, and has no position on the toys. Antigun advocates also aren't sure what to think.

“We have our hands full with dangerous guns that fire bullets,” said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “I don't think it is likely to be in our top tier of issues here any time soon.”

SO here is the frog story mentioned, adn once againa ll it is is bad publicity... this is however the same day that they interveiwed Joel about his spudguns. April 29th, 2003... could there be some coincidence? probably but I just wish I COULD FIND THE DATE OF THE UPCOMING STORY....

it just wories me.... :(

Post subject: It's Up And Coming News
 Post Posted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Toolies,
and will air Thursday (today) 5-8-03....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Combustion Launchers