Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Combustion Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by _latke,

A couple tests were run on the L3 to check fuel mix with some used gasket slugs and an 80"X1.5" barrel. Shots were coming in at close to 600FPS which is actually slightly slower than the smaller volume L1. Probably attributed to the beat up rubber gaskets used with the L3.

Following current trends, the L3 has also received an additional mini gun style handle. This helps tremendously with handling during loading as well as casual waist level firing.

An endcap checkvalve was used for this first test and worked well but leaked on a couple initial shots when the propane went in. This caused a slight drop in velocity and was remedied by pulling extra hard on the plunger to seal the chamber. This device will not be used in the immediate future for testing although it really speeds things up. It will be tried again during tomorrows second prelim test.

Sunday, the C:B test with tennis balls will be done. The barrel is ready and is 12', around .28:1* (*guess). TB's will be breech loaded and shot into a "tarp and bucket" catchcan.

Yo Orangekid, you wanna' come help with this bitch?

Post subject: Latke...
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudlover,
First of all that is a kick ass gun. It may not have the flair of #002, but it is soooo clean. Couple of questions, is that 3/4 pipe on the meter, cause it sure looks like it. I like the mini gun grips, I will be adding them soon to my gun. It looks like you have part of the cap cut out with a switch inside. Have you done any chrono tests yet with tennis balls. My 3200cc gun with a 4ft tennis ball barrel shots around 500fps(.88:1 ratio) I know a writeup is close, but did you make your own stun gun circitry? And last but not least, did you get payed for L3 number 2? You probably got $200 wraped up in that gun, maybye more. It's late, sorry for the questions. I'm looking forward to the results.

Post subject: L3 stuff...
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

The L3 meters are 3/8" valves with a 1/2" meter pipe. The t fitting on #001 is all 1/2" but #002 as well as the L1 have the hard to find 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/4" t fitting which looks better. The volumes of both L3 meters are exactly 48ml even with the different t fittings. This was not easy to do and took about ten attempts and a few extra trips to the home center for shorter pipes.

The minigun handle was inspired by these crazy things and by vochraye's new designs. The 3/4" PVC handle has a switch in the end which is protected by the cap. It works well but is a little long and bumps me in the head when "shoulder" firing. A fix might be to make the handle rotate or removable. Unfortunately, simply pointing the handle towards the rear upsets the perfect balance, this would be the best fix otherwise. I've actually already gotten used to the handle and hold the launcher slightly differently for shoulder firing. Another solution is to use a 45 degree fitting stead of a 90 but this made the L3 too big to fit into it's custom hardwood case (pics soon).

No TB chrono results yet. ONly have 2 barrels with 3" fitting right now...12 foot and 8 foot. Both will probably backfire at that length. We'll see tomorrow.

Stun guns. Right now I simply pull the guts out of a 65k store bought zapper, $15. I sent one to cchant who is still trying to identify one part... the big yellow cap looking thing. Pics of it at burnt latke stungun section. I like the design of the 65k zapper and haven't had much success with other, diode type designs available on the net.

L3 #002 is still here and hasn't even been test fired yet. It also needs to be photographed but is otherwise mostly complete. I've not been paid but will upon delivery. I told the customer it would cost $200, then $300 , then $400. Don't know how much money is in it but there's a million hours labor. If I ever build another custom order, it'll be $1200. Pretty outrageous for some PVC pipe but real rich guys can afford it and it somewhat justifies to me the time involved.

Post subject: $1200, wow!
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudlover,
I am going to build a launcher for a doctor relative, I know how the price goes up! At first I added all of the parts together, it would cost me around $250 to build "the ultimate gun." At first I was going to charge him $300, but after building the prototype I want to charge more like $400! I spent a lot of time on my gun(try 30 hours) maching the bushings, painting, assembly, everything! A quick question about the stun gun, where did you buy it? For my gun I combined the stun gun and fan guts into one box. It didn't fit so I had to remove the circuit board. Good fun. I have had succes with the 80,000 volt Talon Mini I use, the only problem is getting the thing open without ruining it. I ended up using a dremel to barely cut through the plastic. Once again great job... I will now only use 3" fittings. All of my barrels are pass through now, it works great! A lot better than 2"fittings, except for expense. I sure hope that rich guy likes the launcher...

Post subject: or more..
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

it's a different business model than joels. Unlike his, mine doesn't make money. It's just a side bit and I wouldn't want to get stuck making more than a few launchers. BTW, serial # is 00X because it looks more like a ser number, not because I'm gonna build more than 100. There's no way to justify the time involved. I mean, how much is the SP9004 above? Depending on who you ask, it's worthless or priceless. ( It also uses timed solenoids for fuel delivery. False does too). Now that templates, jigs and circuits are complete, I could probably knock one out pretty quick. It was just this first one that was a killer. The timer circuit/fan controller/enclosure ( CCU 'combustion control unit' I'm callin it) took over month-s to complete working on it almost full time at about 60-80 hours a week..or more. Can't even count the hours, I'd have to look at receipts to see the dates even. There's a bunch of woodwork involved with the case so I had to build a table saw..after a false start with trying to revive another table saw (expense). Final is a skill 77 bolted to the underside of a table. WORKS GREAT! There's a Powermatic table saw 20 feet from my studio but I'm scared to use it, now. It's insane.: (

I get stunguns at www.new-avenues.com. It's almost cheaper to buy em than make em, if I could. Yes, 3" chamber openings are neato. Next step is banjo fittings. They haven't killed boogieman yet.

Post subject: do you have...
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by someguynamedchris,
a pic of this gun?
I really do not see how it could be over $1000, what cost the most?
I can make a basic gun for $30, add propane $60, stun gun $15, laser sight(a good one) $40, $5 for misc. and i am not sure how mutch paint it. That is $150 not including paint. am i missing something?

Chris

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Bartman007,
if he built another custom gun. This includes labor and the revenue he would get from it. I would get that he has spent well over 100 hours of labor on this gun, as it was one of the first he built with this design.
I know that I spend more hours designing a gun then I really do hands on.

Peace,
-Bartman007

Post subject: Serious looking launcher
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Vochraye,

VERY suave!
Me like...

-: Vochraye

I am Vochraye.

Post subject: yeah...
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by someguynamedchris,
just that sounds a lot but in the first post about it he said for the REAL rich guys. I have made a gun for some one for $30 but it was just a basic 3"x12" with a 1.5"x4' with a nice pistol grip and camo paint job. Now that i look back on it I got riped off. But a 100 hours just seems alot to me.

Chris

Post subject: so latke...
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
ya gonna burn the hairs off of them or not? Haha just kidding man, L3 looks like a Monster! I wonder if the muzzle velocities may make the pneumatic boys a little uneasy? :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Combustion Launchers