Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Combustion Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Too big of a chamber???
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by animalmaniac,
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your replies to my previous posts. I have just bought all the pvc and fittings for this spudgun I'm making and it looks huge, especially the camber which is 4" by 2 foot long, which is 1.5 times as large as my 4 foot 1.5" pvc rifled barrel. I will use right guard, and I'm afraid that the vapor won't get through the whole thing, and waste space and power. Should I make the chamber smaller, an 18 inch chamber would be a 1 to 1 ratio with the same barrel? Thanks for suggestions,
Taylor

Post subject: Big chambers...
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by cchant,
Your chamber is fine. My 4"x36" (below) has never had a problem with fuel not igniting correctly. I usually blow into the chamber (because I don't have a fan) to make sure the hairspray gets all the way in, but I don't know how much this helps, if any. Spray a couple seconds, blow, spray a few more. Good luck on your launcher.

Post subject: Holy crap... heh. nt
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,

Post subject: Hey cchant!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudlover,
That is a massive chamber. Could you please tell some numbers. If you had a ten foot barrel you could probably get 400 yds out of a potato with that thing. Be really cool to shoot one of your sabots out of it. With all of your knowledge of ballistics and projectiles I'm suprised your not more "high tech." Oh well, size does to matter!

P.S. The picture doesn't work

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by cchant,
The chamber is 4" pipe about 36" long. I use a 2" barrel 7 feet long and can get 400 yards with a lime. Hopefully I will be able to test the new projectiles early next week. The reason I don't have anything "high-tech" right now is I'm poor, and I'm saving up my money for another "real" gun.

I don't know why the pic doesn't work. Go to my website for a different pic. Also an animated gif of the gun breaking a cinder block with a lime.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
them suckers, try a pneumatic. Preferably a coaxial. I can't believe how powerful mine is.. I really didn't think it'd be THIS good.. I think mine may have totaled to around 80 bucks or so? But then again I got a lot of parts I didn't need and stuff.

Post subject: I feel your pain...
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudlover,
cchant, I spent all of my "spudgun" money(around $200) on my new combustion cannon. Nothing new, pretty much an unintentional copy of the L3 launcher. Most of the Money went into those expensive 3" fittings and the propane system...sigh. Good news is it kicks @ss. I don't know when latke will publish the TB ratio results, but the gun was shooting in the 500fps range after I nailed the fuel mix. Gotta give you props on those sabots, amazing. I hope they fly as good as they look!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spin69,
You need only a 1/4-1/2 sec. blast to use that 4 x 24 chamber.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Combustion Launchers