Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Ammo Ideas

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Yep
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GalFisk,
I must get somebody to be that 'very brave spotter' some time, so I can find the actual range of my gun. I've found only one of the more than ten spuds-on-a-string I shot yesterday, the one I found was the one I shot horizontally, rather than at 35-45 degrees. The grass is just too tall further away, and I don't even know if it lands in the short grass, the long grass behind it or even the grain field behind that.
Even with a piece of white paper in the other end of the string.
I also shot a spud with a parachute almost straight up, even then it disappeared, in our raspberry field. Then I got nettle-burns on both knees looking for it, and I didn't even find it.

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Rex_R,
I've had rockets land a half mile away(or more) using streamers instead of parachutes! mayhap you could find a football field to test on...

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Rocketbiker,
...for a while I was able to test out on an abandoned runway. There's an air strip/military contractor site near the house that has a couple unused runways. It was great for spuds. They leave a nice big splat. I wish I'd had my golf ball gun ready then, I bet they would've gone the full 2.5 miles of the strip. Bouncing of course. = )

Post subject: Not to be jealous but...
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:00 am 
Site Admin

...man, that would be cool. I wish I had access to some place like that.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Orangekid13,
the golf balls prolly ram themselves into the ground, and dig in. As for the potatos, they'd prolly do the same, or get stuck in the grass, or possibly get blown to little pieces on impact, and sprayed throughout the grass.

I lost a little masking tape bullet (masking tape rolled up with nothing in the middle) in my lawn, and my lawn wasn't all that green, and the bullet was flourescent green. I found it when it got cut in half with a mighty *BRAP* when i was mowing later that week. I couldn't use it anymore obviously.

~Orangekid13

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

this is where it would be handy to use remote controlled firing, and be out there yourself (off to the side a little) where you think it might land. Hit the button, and watch it fly, ducking if neccicary. then you can see where it lands, without having to find anyone else to have to do it.

~Orangekid13

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Turns out the spuds are impossible to even see if you're not looking along the barrel when you shoot. And if you lose it for just a moment, you'll never see it again... I shoot quite small spuds (2.8cm barrel) so they are quite hard to see. Even colored strings attached to the spud doesn't help much, to be visible they need to be so large that they throw off the distances too much anyway.

Post subject: maybe you could...
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

find a gigantic abaondoned parking lot, and shoot in it. Or at it, but make sure that there's no possibility of hitting anything. Then you could find the middle of the huge splat mark, and measure or whatever. ONLY DO THIS IF THERE ARE NO BUILDINGS IN THE LINE OF FIRE. You don't need to get arrested for shooting at buildings, or accidentaly hitting one and breaking a window or something.

~Orangekid13

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Bartman007,
I am trying to think of how you could do this with a golfball effectively. It could be done with a potato by just making a cavern in the spud, filling it with paint powder and then sealing it with something weak. Idealy the potato would explode on impact, spraying the surrounding area with this powder. That may even work on water too...
I think it could be done with a tennis ball, just cut a bunch of slits with a knife, it would be messy as it would leak as you cram it down your barrel, and probably mid-flight. Again, idealy it would create a huge cloud on impact....

Peace,
-Bartman007

Post subject: Yep
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:00 am 
Site Admin

I'm goung back to Sweden soon, I just moved there before christmas, so I haven't had the opportunity to really look around yet. I think I'll show my gun to the cops too, just to know if they're okay with it (spudguns are legal in Sweden, but they might not know that yet) Maybe they even know where to shoot it.
I'd never shoot in a direction where I might hit someting/somebody, I'll probably be shooting out in the lake/river, or into the woods.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Ammo Ideas