Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Ammo Ideas

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by cchant,
There are a lot of pictures, so give it a while to load.

I've been researching projectiles for a good 9 months now. Since then I've been trying to develop the ultimate projectile for maximum range. Everyone seems to measure potato gun performance by how far their guns can shoot, but sooooo much of that is determined by what projectile you use. The projectile sits in the barrel for a fraction of a second, then fights a much longer battle against drag. It seemed very logical to me if someone wants to shoot as far as they possibly can with their gun, they would need to use a high performance projectile. That is where these come in:

The bigger one is made from 1.5" PVC (yep, solid PVC pipe construction) and is made for a 2" barrel. It weighs about 245g with no front mass. A small front mass is needed because the projectiles come out slightly back heavy, so you need a little more up front to keep it pointing forward in flight. The mass can be made by dropping small, round fishing weights followed up by some hot glue or bondo to secure them in place.

This one is made from 1" PVC fitted with a sabot for use in a 2" barrel. It weighs 100g. Ultimately, I would use a difference sabot to fire these because that one is a little hefty. The lighter the better. The reason for the sabot is to get the benefits of a larger barrel (more gas pushing on it means more force) and having a smaller profile when traveling through the air.

It does, however, make a near perfect fit in 2" pipe. The final version of the sabot would have the back end sealed off.

Construction is very labor intensive. Flaps are cut out of the PVC with a Dremel tool.

The inner edges are beveled so they mate together smoothly.

Then the pipe ends are submerged in boiling water (oil not neccessary) and molded by hand into the cone shape. If everything it cut evenly, it should come out pretty smooth and round. Bondo is used to fill in the cracks and improve overall roundness. Then sand, sand, sand.

This model has fins for increased stability. I eventually ruled fins out due to substanital drag but in the manner I fashioned them, and in sub-sonic flight, they shouldn't be too bad.

The fins are cut from lexan and wedged into place.

The idea is to just make a couple of these, drop one in your gun, hope everything goes right, and you should see your gun shooting farther than you ever thought possible. I have yet to shoot one, so I have no idea yet exactly how much front weight is necessary and/or if fins are needed. I was designing these specifically for a long range pneumatic artillery gun modeled after a German 88mm AAA Flak 36. I'm doubting that I will get around to building the gun since the max range would be longer than the land I have available to shoot on.

I hope to try some of my designs out soon so I can get an idea for their flight characteristics. Actual projectiles would not be painted in the military scheme I have - that's just for show. Bright orange or yellow would make recovery easier. Although mean looking, these projectiles would have pretty poor penetration since the PVC would shatter, but obviously anything traveling at the speeds we shoot things is going to cause a lot of damage.

Well that about sums up a lot of my research for the past few months. I've made many other prototypes, most of them use a bondo nosecone instead of shaped PVC. I may post some of those later. Any feedback is welcome.

Post subject: Whoa those are bad-@ss
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by FoxxLord,
They look mean as hell just standing there!
Nicely crafted, can't wait to see how well/far they shoot. Hopefully you can hit some soft soil and just bury it instead of making all new rounds each time.
I've seen some tiny LED strobe light circuits that I always thought might help to find long distance ammo, you'de have to wait till dusk though. I'm rambling now, sorry. Nice work though.

-Foxx

Post subject: Tracking
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

I've considered stobes for shooting at night. It'd look freaking cool going through the sky, and easy to find, definitely a possibility. But, you have to hope that the strobe doesn't get damaged. What I've concluded, is a little piezo buzzer (very durable) would be optimal. In an open area, you should be able to hear it a couple hundred yards away since they are so freaking loud. And you're using your ears which are great at direction finding, as opposed to a radio signal which I've also considered. That would be a little hard to zero in on. Thanks for the comments.

Post subject: OMG!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
Those are frickin awesome!

Post subject: nitpick
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Rex_R,
(/nitpick)shouldn't that be a blue band (inert) instead of yellow (high explosive) (/nitpick) beats my idea for using a cardboard tube with a couple of nose cones (model rocket supplies) nice work! will wait with great anticipation your 'flight test' data

Post subject: outa sight
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by chewy,
love it.awesome boattails!

Post subject: nice
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Pyro107,
i have to admit though, when i first saw them i thought the head was metal so i was thinking they were a little too destructive but i read on and have come to the conclusion that they are very f**kin awsome, they should be great for distance, and for a lighter sabot, try to use styrofoam

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

...the yellow band is there because I packed the inside of them with nitroglycerin? Haha, just kidding. I never knew that about the colors of the bands - I just thought it looked cool. Thanks for the info.

Post subject: heheh
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Rex_R,
well I used to work munitions some (mumble)years ago soo...it bugs me a bit to see things that are wrong. mostly gives me a chuckle to how many movies/tv progs where they show missiles etc heading for a target and according to the markings they are training/inert warheads. case you're curious red=incindeary, brown=low explosive(rocket fuel).

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Freefall,
and I thought they looked sweet when they were still nude an' bondo'd. I can't wait to see the numbers on these things. Any guesses on when you'll get to test them? From what I recall in our e-mail conversation, these babies would do some pretty significant damage even at some extreme ranges. (I think we were talking 1500+ yards, impact velocity around 350+ fps?)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Ammo Ideas