Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Ammo Ideas

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: video camera!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by otherside990,
ever since i made my spud gun, i've looked for other things to shoot. in fact, i hav'nt shoot an actual potato since the day i made my gun! i've shoot socks, rags, apples, peaches, tomatos, pears, wal-mart bags, fireworks, even eggs! after shotting all that, i've noticed that wrapping lots of duct tape around most anything to small to fit snugly down the barrel makes it fit. well, on ebay you can buy a pinhole video camera for as little as $10. its 1/2" long, 1/2"wide, and well you get the picture. its really small! it comes with a 9 volt battery socket and transmits directly to your tv (up to 1,000 feet!) why not duct tape the battery transmitter and the camera together and wrap enough duct tape around it for a good fit? turn on the tv, plug in the reciever, pop a tape into the vcr, and record your shot??? as long as the cumbustion doesnt damage the camera, or, of course, the landing which would be hard but you people are pretty smart and we could think of some way to do it without destroying the camera. well, tell me what you think

Post subject: good idea...
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
i would love to see the video, im sure you could use foam or something to soften the impact... how much do the cameras cost? That may be an issue...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Namor,
parachute set-up and have the camera on the backside...fire it straight up and it will record it on the way up and the slow descent back down....

this way you could use it over and over without having to search a whole lot for it

you could try and mimic the parachute from a model rocket....

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:00 am 
Site Admin

but i've seen them go for $.01 i know that makes no sense and has to be a scam, but you can get great deals on anything on ebay. i added everything up and with shipping and all that crap you can get one for less than $20 all together, which is still very expensive for a single projectile, but like i said, soften the landing somehow. foam would be good, boogieman and i was also thinking if you could have some of your friends stand about 20 yards from you in opposite directions, one of you could catch it(or it could hit your soft body, knocking you out and saving your camera) so basically its up to you whether you think its worth it. if i had the money i would.

Post subject: that sounds good,
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:00 am 
Site Admin

but how could i get the parachute from opening while it is going up, slowing it down?

Post subject: just a guess
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Bartman007,
Use a projectile that won't tumble end over end (probably a tube shaped projectile, ie. rocket.) With the projectile standing up, drape the parachute over the tip, then load it into the barrel. This quick and dirty way should work, while providing minimal drag. This would be much easier if you are breech-loading as opposed to muzzle loading.

Peace,
-Bartman007

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudmasterofMtWashington,
I HAD BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS LATELY AND BELEIVE THAT IT WOULD WORK...
make a PVC rocket, weit the front end EXTREMEL WELL. so that when shot strait up it will change abrubtly, flip around and fall nose first.

THEN, make a saction of pipe that is in front of the weight be for the chute. Place the chute on a long string, then place a HEAVY weight on another string tied to the one on the chute...

SO, when the rocket flips and starts to fall, the weighted parachute comes out first, then the air opens the chute, and the chute floats the whole thing back down.

NOW, as for your camera, you will need to place it in the bottom of the rocket, but I am afraid that the combustion of your gun (if used in combustion) may hurt the camera, SO I would just place something in there as "protective" wadding (newspaper would work).

this would be an awsoem video if you were to get it to work... I really would love to see that. and If I had the money I would buy one of them cameras... I have thought about getting one b4 actually... O well. cant get it now, am involved in a new project :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Ammo Ideas