Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Legal Stuff

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Bartman007,
I have been wondering about this for a little while... As stated in PCGuy's ATF letter on page two it says...
ATF has previously examined devices known such as "potato guns".... and has generally determined that such devices using potatoes as projectiles and used solely for recreational purposes are not weapons and meet neither the NFA nor the GCA definition of "firearm" or "destructive device." However, ATF has classified such devices as "firearms" and "destructive devices" if they are designed and used to expel such items as flaming tennis balls.

In your guys opinion, does this also mean that it is a weapon if standard non-flaming tennis balls are fired?
If this stumps the spudtech community then I will probably write a letter to the ATF...

Peace,
-Bartman007

P.S. As a corollary question, would firing a golf ball turn a spudgun into a weapon? My guess would be to say yes, because it is a small hard object...

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by andeh,
and from what we can tell, it is fine as long as your projectile isn't exploding, or rocks... etc. REALLY destructive stuff, in other words.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
punches clean holes in plywood, like it wasnt even there, I guarantee it has more force that a bullet.... think of the surface area of the profile of a golfball, and the weight compared to a bullet. Thats a great letter, I like how he scanned it in, so it doesnt seem madeup. I always wondered if the famous ATF letter was a scam. Deffinatly good to have onhand when shooting, I would laminate it if I were him. Keep up the good work pcguy!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:00 am 
Site Admin

I've also talked to a few local cops and they said it was OK. I think everyone should write the ATF, they DO respond..

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudmasterofMtWashington,
but yeah, who is it? I may need to write one... I thought about writing the atourny general but decided against it... lol. O well. (and by the way, spuds will penetrate plywood too...)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

And yeah, spuds go through plywood.

If you write them, be sure to ask about projectiles other than spuds.. I don't know if I speak for everyone, but most of the time I don't use spuds... tennis balls, golfballs(soon), etc... solid ammo.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudmasterofMtWashington,
I might write them sometime soon... Would the NRA be a good one to write? lol...

and use of combustion, I know that that subject dances around the definition of a gun... doesnt it? ....

Post subject: just to let u know....
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by ryno,
that letter was mine and i would like to thank andeh for scanning it and PCGUY for putting it on his site. i just wanted to have a real letter(not one printed off a spudgun site,some people wouldnt beleive it!)the paper also has watermarks in it and a real signature(so people know i didnt fake it.) anyways, if u want to write in, they will respond, but they dont take questions through email, u have to WRITE to them

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Legal Stuff