Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Stories

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: A little about myself...
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Rocketbiker,
I'm kinda new in here and I know I've been posting a lot of stuff, so I thought I'd share a little about how and when I was first exposed to spud guns.
I was first told about this marvelous device that my friend called a "polish cannon", back in 1980. He described a barrel made of soup cans and a tennis ball as ammo. We tried to build one, but since we couldn't find the right size cans, we gave up. I was 8 at the time, so wasting cans of food just for a toy was out of the question. Years later, '89 or '90, another friend and I were bored with the fireworks we had and the cannon idea came back to me. We duct taped up some cans (I still can't remember which ones worked), loaded a tennis ball, put in some lighter fluid, shook well, and boom! It knocked bark off a pine tree about 20' away. Of course we soon got tired of shaking the can and moved on to something else. Later I heard of people using pvc and slapped myself on the forehead for not thinking of it myself. Unfortunately the first one I built never fired because I used a small hole in the chamber to deposit the fuel via aerosol straw instead of a cleanout plug, and there was never enough oxygen for combustion. Finally in '01 I got it right. The first shot was awe inspiring for me, I got really lucky I think. I decided to look online after the first one was built, and found out that I had basically found a close to ideal CB ratio by accident. Mine measured out to about .9:1, and I was getting around 175-200yrds. out of spuds. I just recently have gotten really interested in pneumatic since I have a good sized compressor.
So, anyway that's my spud experience in a nut shell.
Maybe we could hear from others on how they got into this wonderful hobbie/sport.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Stories