Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Safety

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Rocketbiker,
A friend and I were working on a propane spud gun and were using a tire valve and air chuck to administer the air and propane. The main problem was the movement of the spud. When we thought we had the right mixture at a low enough pressure to not move the spud I suggested a non-firing test to see if it was actually moving or not. Previously we had been firing a balled up sock at a folding table on it's side with a 1/4" piece of particle board in front. Well, I decided to reload the sock, place a measuring stick in the barrel, and fill with fuel to spec. pressure and watch the stick to see if it moved. By the way the stick was a 3/4" oak dowel about 4' long. So, we did all of the above and as I watched the end of the barrel the stick didn't move. Of course feeling a sense of victory I exclaimed "yes it didn't move", at the same time he exclaims "move I'm going to shoot". Hmm... wish I'd had more time to remind him that there was an oak rocket in the barrel, in my garage, aimed at my neighbor's house. Before I knew what happened there was a hole in the wood, the table, and an oak dowel about 30ft. away lying in the road. Glad noone was walking their dog.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Safety