Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Safety

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GalFisk,
I was firing carrot bits (leftovers from dinner making), when my old chamber, made out of a 1.5L coke bottle, decided to get a big hole burned around the ignitor. So I thought I would take another of the bottles I had lying around, which I had used to experiment with dual ignition and ignitor placement. It had two pairs of holes, and I had burnt my hand a little before when I used it with the lower ignitor only, and had my hand on top of the pinholes in the bottleneck.
(I use sewing pins as electrodes).
Now I thought I could use that one for a few shots if I just was careful about these holes... so I loaded up, gassed up, aimed and fired.. pscchhh! The smell of burnt cotton and ditto skin stung my nose...
Turned out I had been using that bottle to shoot ball bearings at, and there was a large crack in the bottom I didn't see (cause I was too worried about accidentally burning my hand on the empty ignitor holes). Curiously enough, the hot gas only burned through my t-shirt (which was one of my better ones) and the very outmost layer of skin, so I only sustained 1st degree burns which will be a painful (and good) reminder about spudgun safety in the hours to come...

Post subject: yikes!
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,

I bet that hurt really badly!  Good to hear you are ok (mostly anyways)

-=Boogieman=-

Post subject: Strangely enough...
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

...it didn't hurt that much. It sounds much worse than it really is. I had lots of cold water on it, and the pain mostly went away in a few hours. At worst it wasn't much more bothering than a sunburn. But it looks (and sounds) like it hurts like hell, much worse than it feels (I shall spare you the details:).

Post subject: Unsafe Materials!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Bartman007,
Just kidding, even though it is unsafe, I'm glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt....
Please be careful and use PVC in the future...

Peace,
-Bartman007

Post subject: Unsafe?
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

These bottles are made for storing CO2-containing soft drinks, and are constructed to be able to handle the pressure. The only reason I got hurt was that I used a plainly broken bottle, which i had used as a target before. The bottom of the bottle was halfway ripped off already from point blank hit with a steel ball bearing.
These bottles just can't blow up using butane/air. I've even tried to put on the cap tight and firing (standing in a safe place ofcourse), and they only go 'pffff'. It's also quite shatter-proof, flexible, shock-resistant and heat-resistant.
I've seen thin variants of these bottles too, made for storing juice and water, might be unsafe and I don't use them.
I don't really know what material the barrel is made of, but it's kind of 'soft', but sturdy, and totally shatter-proof. Maybe it's HDPE? It's much safer than my old PVC non-pressure-rated solid core barrel, which blew up twice because it wasn't shock-resistant enough...
Gotta buld a 'real' gun some time, but pressure-rated stuff is a little hard to get by here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Safety