Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Safety

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'm lucky I lived!
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Ryax,
The season was summer, the place was my cabin. I had just finished my first combustion cannon. A 2 foot, 3" camber with a 4-5 foot, 1.5" barrel -- ABS. I was really was really excited to fire the gun but patient enough to wait 24 hours to let the glue dry (the only smart thing I did in this story). I called many of my friends out to the lake to see the event. To make sure I wouldn't disapoint them I fired it a few times. PERFECTION! After a few shots, though, I found a small crack growing around the BBQ lighter. Thinking more about impressing my friends then safety, I ran to my shed, twisted some heavy wire around the chamber and wrapped it extensively in duct and electrical tape... I know, I know... and grabbed the nearest flamable arisol can, "Off" bug repellent... I know, I know now...

Meanwhile, my friends and I arrived at a lagoon aways down the highway and had already fired a few spuds. Still perfection. After running out of spuds we get this grad idea to fire rocks. Using duct tape as a wadding... stupid... I was pretty lucky it fired decently. The next idea was to put gravel down the barrel with a duct tape wadding. Thinking it was pretty dangerous i told everyone to get behind my truck. More tense then ever, *Click *Click *Click. Nothing. I looked more relaxed and *Click. BOOOOM!!! I didn't know what hit me. I was on the my back, starring straight up, stuggleing to catch my breath (you know when you get hit in the chest with a soccer ball). I laid there stiff for a while till I understood what happened. In a bit of shock I slid my hand down to my stomach to feel if it was still there. When I convinced my self I was alright I began laughing uncontrolable. What a rush! When I sat up I could see a few of my friends had gotten my truck started to take me to the hospital while others were comming to my aid.

Turns out, my former cannon was reduced to a few peices that I didn't bother to count. My shirt was blackend a bit with a hole burnt through where I was holding the cannon and I had a small bruise in the same place. Good news was that I salvaged the BBQ lighter and the barrel (of which the gravel and duct tape still remained) and built myself another cannon the next weekend. That one cracked too but that was before I learned that useing OFF is bad. Thanks Joel. I've built 7 incredible WORKING cannons since. Working on my 8th.

Post subject: wow abs sucks
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by boogieman,
i bet that hurt like hell!

Post subject: I don't think so
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Ryax,
Although the ABS cracked I don't trust it any less. The reason it cracked in the first place is because I used "Off" bug repellent. Bug repellent has some nasty chemicals in it, some of which eat through ABS. Wow, but did it ever ignite well!

Post subject: will it eat pvc away
 Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by bryce,
????

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Safety