Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Other Lame Rantings

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by The Web Guy,
Based on responses from people on the forum, I am going to answer some questions based on stuff people have asked throughout the forum.

By the way, if I get any more questions about the forum, i'm either (a) gonna rip out the remainder of my hair (not much left, pretty bad considering I just turned 22) or (b) create a new category for the forum by itself. Actually, I'm kidding, I enjoy the criticism, and over time I will meld this board to be very similar to one of those other prepackaged bulletin boards.

[1] Why not use vBulletin or UBBThreads for the bulletin board?
For your information, there is a lot that goes on "behind the scenes" with Joel's website. This is not any plain HTML site that is designed, this is a "web application", where the whole site is database driven. Now, this bulletin board did not cost Joel a whole lot (although, I am unable to disclose the amount). He COULD have bought vBulletin or UBBThreads.

However, Joel wanted a customized message board for a reason. He has a business, and he does marketing. He needs to see who is active in the messageboards, and who in the messageboards does a lot of ordering from him. JOEL WANTS TO PLAY BIG BROTHER. Actually, I don't know what the heck he does. He just wants it this way :P

Now, for cchant's idea about using pd9soft's BBS, that's actually a decent idea - I would have to play around with it since it would have to fit in Spudtech's site design and I would have to be able to link the database with the Spudtech internal database so I can pull statistics from both. This would require some time, and time IS money (HINT: BUY SH*T FROM SPUDTECH.COM).

_latke was correct about programming being time-consuming - but Joel asked for something quick and would rid the problem with it [the messageboard] being slow and getting rid of the popup ads - and this is the solution - this has only taken me about 12 hours to build (as of this post). I'm perfecting this little by little, but the main goal, as is with the goal of this whole website, is to customize this to how Joel thinks and operates. I'm trying to make it better for you all, but Joel is priority #1.

Same as the [upcoming] chat room, it may only be temporary (it's not bad, but it's about a 10 hour throw-together so you all have somewhere to converge).

You can post suggestions to this thread, and Joel and I will reply, and make changes as necessary.

Thank you for your ideas and criticisms, as they are welcome and help improve the site.

The Web Guy

Post subject: Nice to meet you
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by cchant,
It's nice to hear from the web guy himself about what goes on behind the scenes. Although using free source code of another message board would be nice, the layout just wouldn't be the same if that is how Joel wants it. This current forum serves its purpose well and I think with the little by little perfection it will end up looking nice. Since you asked for suggestions, I will give you a few that come to mind (with more important first). You probably already planned on doing a few of these but here it goes:

Active topics move to top of list

Signatures

User statistics in each post - for example, it would say something like:
cchant
member since 10/17/02 (you already got that going)
Basic Member (or whatever, usually based off number of posts)
Heck, why not something like "Farthest Spud Shot: 2 feet"

And last suggestion - I would prefer the board set up so you click on threads and read each post in that thread back to back on the same page rather than have each post separate. It's easier to read through the posts that way. But that's just my personal preference.

Any of those ideas sound do-able? Nice job creating everything here from scratch. It's tough stuff. No hurries to get everything done, it's fine how it is now as long as one day it will be improved upon. Also looking forward to the chat room.

As for buying from Spudtech, I would love to, but I don't have a job (means I'm poor) and I'm in college (means I'm very poor). Hopefully next summer.

Post subject: Forgot one...
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by cchant,
It would also be nice to show if there have been any new posts in each category since the last visit. For example, if someone posted in "Combustion Launchers" while I was gone, some special icon would show there is a new post in that category next time I visit. That way people don't have to read through each category to see if there's anything new.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by _latke,

IMO, the board looks great 'cept for the congestion. My earlier comment was supposed to read
'remove the frame to the Left on the lower part of the page to free up more real estate'
but you probably knew that. I've written a propane calculator available at
http://burntlatke.quibble.com/lp.html, I'd like to make this a free standing app. Any programming
suggestions? A friend / smart guy , Bruce Lindbloom, suggests Java to do this.
Do you own a spudgun??
Thanks for your hard work.

PS, It takes me so long to format these f_n things that I usally time out of the system.
Is this just the way it's gonna be for me? Not a big deal really.
Don't fix the typo or I'll look like I can't spell ; )

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by _latke,

IMO, the board looks great 'cept for the congestion. My earlier comment was supposed to read
'remove the frame to the Left on the lower part of the page to free up more real estate'
but you probably knew that. I've written a propane calculator available at
http://burntlatke.quibble.com/lp.html, I'd like to make this a free standing app. Any programming
suggestions? A friend / smart guy , Bruce Lindbloom, suggests Java to do this.
Do you own a spudgun??
Thanks for your hard work.

PS, It takes me so long to format these f_n things that I usally time out of the system.
Is this just the way it's gonna be for me? Not a big deal really.
Don't fix the typo or I'll look like I can't spell ; )

Post subject: I like it ....
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Cheezboy,
I like it better it is much easier to read now :)
The next thing oyu need to add is something to tell us what the new posts are each visit :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by The Web Guy,
I've helped create software that a lot of cable companies use... and a lot more. I was selling some of my "first achievers" while I was 12 or 13... this stuff is easy for me. I'm actually in the process of developing a mail server program (like IpSwitch's IMail) in Visual Basic.NET (or C#, I haven't decided).

As for your program, use ASP - as long as quibble.com supports Active Server Pages you could keep the tool online but make it work without using an Excel spreadsheet. And, it's all VBScript. I made all of Joel's site in ASP.

Post subject: Suggestions seconded..
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by sledge,
To aggree with cchant, i too think the most important things for the forum are below

- Active topics stay on top.
- All replies to the same thread on same page.
- A search option.

Anything else is really just a novelty .. but the above will really stop the congestion and make a very readable forum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Other Lame Rantings