Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GisMo,

Mind you, i have a spring assembly built..it works very similar to that of a toilet paper holder thing..Hope these helps
also, does the size of the hole of the piston in the front matter?

Post subject: OOPS other pic is here!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject: That is your problem
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudsonfire,
With a 3" diameter piston and a 3" opening into the air chamber, there is not enough (any) area differential to cause it to seal. The back piston area in sqin x psi MUST be larger than the opening into the air chamber in sqin x psi.

A (kind of) simple fix is to "sleeve" the opening into the air chamber with a smaller pipe that extends out past the existing sealing face approx. 1/8". Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a pipe with the OD that would fit snugly enough to able to glue in place.

(The above is what I had to do to my valve. I had a area differential, but it was not enough to cause the valve to seal.)

Good luck.

Post subject: Oooops!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by FoxxLord,
I'm retarded, I had the chamber and barrel ports mixed up!
But that could also be an answer, just swap the barrel and chamber locations, that way the pressure would also be behind the disk not just the piston. So it would seal.
Maybe that's more of a worst case scenario, probably not the way you'de want to go after all the work you have already invested.

Foxx

Post subject: Attempted Fix ...PICS!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I found a 3" -> 2" Bell Reducer Cut it down carefully and sanded it at attached it to the original 3" pipe inlet. Now the opening is 2-9/16" about a 1/2 inch smaller. So, this should fix the problem? I am going to reassemble the valve and should be testing it within the hour. I'll let you know..

Post subject: Success!
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:00 am 
Site Admin

The valve was completly revamped...piston face blew completly broke off when the vavle was fired. It shot back so fast that it struck the cylinder and broke off..The new piston is MUCH better, MUCH easier to work with. I will post picture soon!

Post subject: GREAT!
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by spudsonfire,
Glad to hear it! Did you happen to mount a spring on the backside of the piston? That will help with some of that 'shock' when it's fired.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I will make a new topci with pictures and whatnot...There is no spring in there..But, I backed the Piston with some heavy rubber to take some of the blow back..Also,I used different rubber to seal the piston on the opening..when I used one layer, it didnt seal, I tried 2 pieces its sealed better but leaked still, tried 3 pieces, fully sealed...I will make a new topic with pics...it looks like spudsonfire gun ..(thanks :) )

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers