Search    Main Website    Parts Store    Forum    FAQ    Login

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by arsondevine,
Hey I was wondering if anyone had the weight of different things, for instance, tennis balls, golf balls, paintballs ect ect , reason I am wondering is so I would know what to enter in Hall consultings gas gun design tool when I am in the stages of planning =D
Thanks guys maybe we can get a list going...

R'

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GalFisk,
An article on the weight of paintballs
Golf ball standard: On January 1, 1932, standardization of golf ball weight and size was established by the United States Golf Assn. following 1930 standards set by the British Golf Assn. for a slightly smaller ball. The weight was set at a maximum of 1.620 oz., and diameter not to be less than 1.680 in.

Tennis balls: The ITF defines the official diameter as "more than" 2 and 1/2 inches but "less than" 2 and 5/8 inches. The weight is "more than" 2 ounces but "less than" 2 and 1/16th ounces.
The rules also say that, when dropped onto a concrete base from 100 inches, the ball should bounce "more than" 53 inches but "less than" 58 inches. In order to achieve this, most balls are pressurized and filled with air.
Finally, the rules state that the "stiffness" of the balls, defined by how much they deform (curve in or out) at 18 lbs of pressure, must be "more than" .220 inches and "less than" .290 inches for forward deformation. For return deformation it must be "more than" .315 inches and "less than" .425 inches.

Ping-pong balls: The ball shall be spherical, with a diameter of 40mm. The ball shall weigh 2.7g.

Pool balls: BCA pool ball specifications require pocket billiard balls to be 2-1/4" in diameter and between 5.5 and 6.0 ounces.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by mta,
Golf Ball: 46 g
Tennis Ball: 58 g
Paintball: 3.5 g
1.5" potato slug: ~75 g
2" potato slug: ~125 g

Post subject: Thanks! NT
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by arsondevine,
={}

Post subject: GalFisk?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by Rocketbiker,
Shoot many poolballs??

Post subject: Not really
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Originaly posted by GalFisk,
It would've been cool though, if they were cheap and easy to get a hold of. Maybe you could get worn-out cueballs from pubs and arcades?
I just got a little carried away collecting info about different sports balls that could fit in a spudgun.
Pool balls would work good for high-powered destruction devices though, or a low-powered 'combustion cue' contraption.
Maybe I should have put in the dimensions for bowling balls aswell? But then again a bowling ball-cannon is a little beyond the scope of spudguns...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Archive » Old Spudtech Message Board » Pneumatic Launchers